ABOUT THE ARTIST

My photo
Mebane, NC, United States
My wife Emily and I currently live in Mebane, NC with our son Evan. I am actively accepting commissions at this time. You may request work by contacting me at artisservant@gmail.com. I currently charge $200 for 11x14 drawings and $150 for 8x10s. I sell prints of my work for $25 for 11x14 and $15 for 8x10. I hope that you will enjoy the works here displayed, and that you will contact me with your comments at artisservant@gmail.com - January 5th, 2015

Monday, June 01, 2009

FOR THE BEST OF FATHER IN LAWS

This drawing is a gift for my Father-in-law, in gratitude for his constant generosity to Emily and I in every way possible. I have a deep respect for Ron. He's a man who seems to have the tools for just about any problem you might come across, and he has been a moral compass for my wife throughout her life, and has by extension become an example to me of what it means to live a life that is committed to doing what is right. I would put him in the same category as my grandfather in that regard. When Ron shakes your hand and tells you what he is going to do, you don't have to guess whether or not he'll do what he says. He is one of the hardest workers I have ever known personally, and his daughter is second only to him in that regard. What I love most about my father-in-law though is the same quality that I admire most in my sister Karen: He's as tough as iron, but there are certain subjects (his daughter being one) that he keeps a very soft place in his heart for. I've never seen a man so stoic, who at the same time can be so quickly brought to tears by a conversation about his daughter, or other members of his family. I am very blessed to have Ron as a friend and as a father-in-law, and will always be indebted to him for his generosity and his desire to help anyone who is experiencing any kind of difficulty. I have come to learn that this is a guiding principle of Ron's life, and hope that I can one day live the way he does.

When I was trying to think of what Ron would enjoy seeing in a drawing, I thought of the usual things, NASCAR, Oklahoma, Chevy Trucks, hunting, etc. but then remembered that the one thing most precious to Ron is his family, both immediate and extended, and I remembered this little photo on the mantle in his home. It shows a very young Ron Nimmo (on the left) standing with his baby sister Cathy and his brother Joe. Joe is and was a tank. From what I have heard, "Ron would start fights.... Joe finished them." To be fair, Ron usually didn't need the back up, but Joe was apparently always ready to assist at need. :) I love the picture and hope the drawing will be special for Ron, for his folks, and for his brother and sister.

4 comments:

  1. Hi David,

    I am working on a project for the Year of the Priest and stumbled onto your blog. BEAUTIFUL WORK! Thanks for sharing your amazing talent!

    Peace,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heej David, thank you for charing all those beautyfull paintings and tube.

    I want to leth you know that on monday I will send you the book I have created with your painting in the front of it. I hope I have the adres set well as you have send me that a year ago.

    With regards and love
    Joke van der Heijden
    The nederlands

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David,

    I am one of your blog followers. I request you to please add a "share this" (http://sharethis.com/) button to your blog so that I can share this great work with my friends on twitter, facebook, digg etc.

    Your work is truly amazing. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU!! I had no idea that I could add that widget and I truly appreciate it! I am so glad to have it on each of my posts.

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME!

I appreciate your time and your interest in my work. If you are interested in knowing more about me and my philosophy of art, please feel free to scroll to the bottom of this page. I would rather spare those who have no interest in such things from having to read about me before looking at my work. God bless you :)

The Vocation of the Artist

I firmly believe that art is meant to serve others, especially in lifting the hearts of people, through "ephiphanies of beauty," (John Paul II's letter to artists) to the contemplation and the glory of God. The artist participates in a unique way in the inspiration of the Creator of all things, and knows something of His joy in the act of creation, for "the act of creation is an act of love."(The Agony and the Ecstacy) This act is essentially bound up with the mystery of the Incarnation of Jesus, in which what had been invisible was made visible in His person, His life and work, and finally in His death and resurrection. The artist is exhorted by the very perception of his gift to its service. Art is not merely, nor should it ever be, a vehicle for selfish ends or cheap shock and awe, but it must seek to give joy to the lives of others. The artist is then in the end merely a servant of truth, beauty, and goodness, and his work must serve to convey these to a wider audience. "Nor do men light a lamp and put it under a bushel, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 15-16)I believe that the artist finds in the lives of Jesus, and of His foster father Joseph, essential role models, especially in their hidden life at Nazareth. Though very little is handed down to us in the Gospels or in tradition illuminating this period in Jesus' life, I believe that this hidden, simple, carpenter's life of "working quietly" (2 Thessalonians 3:11) can be a model for all artists, in which delight is daily sought in the manifestation of beauty in wood, paint, charcoal, dance, the stage, and music. This is a life of humility, where the artist freely accepts that this world, including his own work, "will pass away," (Matt. 24:35) but what it points to never will. Obedience to inspiration, especially as it is inspired by God's Word (itself the revelatory self-expression of God) is the artist's highest calling. This new site is dedicated to this higher calling of the artist, to this challenge.

You will find included in this site examples of my own work, as well as links to other sites which
celebrate the arts, and especially challenge the artist to reach the fullness of his own abilities
in the service of something greater than him or his work. I hope that you will enjoy this site, and
take full advantage of its links, especially the Letter to Artists of our Holy Father (of beloved memory) John Paul II. Thank you for your comments and your consideration of this website.

David Myers