ABOUT THE ARTIST

My photo
Mebane, NC, United States
My wife Emily and I currently live in Mebane, NC with our son Evan. I am actively accepting commissions at this time. You may request work by contacting me at artisservant@gmail.com. I currently charge $200 for 11x14 drawings and $150 for 8x10s. I sell prints of my work for $25 for 11x14 and $15 for 8x10. I hope that you will enjoy the works here displayed, and that you will contact me with your comments at artisservant@gmail.com - January 5th, 2015

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

SAINT MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL

I have wanted to do this drawing for a long time. It is my answer to every bad representation of Saint Michael that I have ever seen. I mean, is it just me, or shouldn't someone known as "the general of the armies of the Lord" look like someone who can stomp a hole in the devil's hind quarters? Most of the traditional images of St. Michael leave me with a bad taste in my mouth, like I've eaten something with too much sugar in it. I don't want to see some androgynous fairy dancing a ballet on the head of a more manly looking satan, but a butt-kickin' Prince of Angels glorious in his victory over evil!

I don't claim that my version is the definitive image of the incorporeal, beautiful Archangel Michael, but I think that it does convey a little more of the strength given him by his Creator. Incidentally, in a funny spiritual exposition, I modeled for both Michael and his nemesis. (yep, that preaches!) At any rate, below follows a great excerpt from the Catholic Encyclopedia on this glorious Saint, and a link to the more traditional (and sweeter) versions of this image. To by a print of this image:



St. Michael is one of the principal
angels; his name was the war-cry of the good angels in the battle fought in heaven against the enemy and his followers. Four times his name is recorded in Scripture:
(1)
Daniel 10:13 sqq., Gabriel says to Daniel, when he asks God to permit the Jews to return to Jerusalem: "The Angel [D.V. prince] of the kingdom of the Persians resisted me . . . and, behold Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me . . . and none is my helper in all these things, but Michael your prince";
(2)
Daniel 12, the Angel speaking of the end of the world and the Antichrist says: "At that time shall Michael rise up, the great prince, who standeth for the children of thy people."
(3) In the
Catholic Epistle of St. Jude: "When Michael the Archangel, disputing with the devil, contended about the body of Moses", etc. St. Jude alludes to an ancient Jewish tradition of a dispute between Michael and Satan over the body of Moses, an account of which is also found in the apocryphal book on the assumption of Moses (Origen, "De principiis", III, 2, 2). St. Michael concealed the tomb of Moses; Satan, however, by disclosing it, tried to seduce the Jewish people to the sin of hero-worship. St. Michael also guards the body of Eve, according to the "Revelation of Moses" ("Apocryphal Gospels", etc., ed. A. Walker, Edinburgh, p. 647).
(4)
Apocalypse 12:7, "And there was a great battle in heaven, Michael and his angels fought with the dragon." St. John speaks of the great conflict at the end of time, which reflects also the battle in heaven at the beginning of time. According to the Fathers there is often question of St. Michael in Scripture where his name is not mentioned. They say he was the cherub who stood at the gate of paradise, "to keep the way of the tree of life" (Genesis 3:24), the angel through whom God published the Decalogue to his chosen people, the angel who stood in the way against Balaam (Numbers 22:22 sqq.), the angel who routed the army of Sennacherib (2 Kings 19:35).
Following these
Scriptural passages, Christian tradition gives to St. Michael four offices:
1. To fight against
Satan.
2. To rescue the
souls of the faithful from the power of the enemy, especially at the hour of death.
3. To be the champion of
God's people, the Jews in the Old Law, the Christians in the New Testament; therefore he was the patron of the Church, and of the orders of knights during the Middle Ages.
4. To call away from earth and bring
men's souls to judgment ("signifer S. Michael repraesentet eas in lucam sanctam", Offert. Miss Defunct. "Constituit eum principem super animas suscipiendas", Antiph. off. Cf. "Hermas", Pastor, I, 3, Simil. VIII, 3).

http://images.google.com/images?q=saint+michael&gbv=2&svnum=10&hl=en&imgsz=smallmediumlargexlarge

11 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 07, 2007

    Dave, I can see your face in both the characters, that is pretty cool.


    By the way, the devil horns is a good look for you, haha. Just kiddin bro, love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!

    Have you considered selling prints?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew-

    I do sell prints and holy cards with my work on them. I am working on producing a holy card with this image. 8x10 prints I sell for $10 and holy cards are $3 (laminated high quality). Let me know if you would like a copy. All of my archived work is available in the same way. Check this post:

    http://artisservant.blogspot.com/2007/02/order-prints-via-email.html

    Karen- Love you!

    Dave Myers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, David! I do indeed like this portrayal of St. Michael - my secondary patron. I like your description of the reality of his masculinity which you illustrated very well. God bless you and your ministry through sacred art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes!! I love it!! I also hate the wimpy St. Michaels. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. RobertsJune 05, 2009

    These are great pitcure's, I've searched all over the internet for a strong version of the archangel. It's a personal thing to me .... you know.. For my own struggle with sin in my life. I love the drawing's

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJune 03, 2010

    Hey David,

    My name is Stephen Knight and am a custom tattoo artist from Des Plaines Illinois. I have a potential client who would like to have your St. Michael piece slightly adjusted and tattooed on him. I always ask artists permission before I duplicate or change their work. Sooo... if you don't mind letting me know if you're ok with that or not I can go ahead and let my client know.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephen I encourage you as a fellow artist to use this image at your discretion and am just happy to know that it is being used in this manner. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has to be the best St. Mike drawing, I really like it... I might get a tattoo of it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousMay 14, 2011

    I have been searching for a suitable rendition of St. Michael for a tattoo. He is the patron saint of my chosen profession and your artwork depicts what we stand for. The strength, honor and the overcoming of evil depicted in this piece speaks volumes. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME!

I appreciate your time and your interest in my work. If you are interested in knowing more about me and my philosophy of art, please feel free to scroll to the bottom of this page. I would rather spare those who have no interest in such things from having to read about me before looking at my work. God bless you :)

The Vocation of the Artist

I firmly believe that art is meant to serve others, especially in lifting the hearts of people, through "ephiphanies of beauty," (John Paul II's letter to artists) to the contemplation and the glory of God. The artist participates in a unique way in the inspiration of the Creator of all things, and knows something of His joy in the act of creation, for "the act of creation is an act of love."(The Agony and the Ecstacy) This act is essentially bound up with the mystery of the Incarnation of Jesus, in which what had been invisible was made visible in His person, His life and work, and finally in His death and resurrection. The artist is exhorted by the very perception of his gift to its service. Art is not merely, nor should it ever be, a vehicle for selfish ends or cheap shock and awe, but it must seek to give joy to the lives of others. The artist is then in the end merely a servant of truth, beauty, and goodness, and his work must serve to convey these to a wider audience. "Nor do men light a lamp and put it under a bushel, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 15-16)I believe that the artist finds in the lives of Jesus, and of His foster father Joseph, essential role models, especially in their hidden life at Nazareth. Though very little is handed down to us in the Gospels or in tradition illuminating this period in Jesus' life, I believe that this hidden, simple, carpenter's life of "working quietly" (2 Thessalonians 3:11) can be a model for all artists, in which delight is daily sought in the manifestation of beauty in wood, paint, charcoal, dance, the stage, and music. This is a life of humility, where the artist freely accepts that this world, including his own work, "will pass away," (Matt. 24:35) but what it points to never will. Obedience to inspiration, especially as it is inspired by God's Word (itself the revelatory self-expression of God) is the artist's highest calling. This new site is dedicated to this higher calling of the artist, to this challenge.

You will find included in this site examples of my own work, as well as links to other sites which
celebrate the arts, and especially challenge the artist to reach the fullness of his own abilities
in the service of something greater than him or his work. I hope that you will enjoy this site, and
take full advantage of its links, especially the Letter to Artists of our Holy Father (of beloved memory) John Paul II. Thank you for your comments and your consideration of this website.

David Myers